I will be travelling to or arrived in San Francisco when you read this, on my way to the Web 2.0 Expo, San Francisco. I’m really excited.
Several leading and up-and-coming social media experts have arranged to meet me. I wrote in an earlier post that I was going to use permission rather than assertive networking – that is only approach people if they made it clear they wanted to network. It has worked better than you could imagine.
So I’ll try and video, photo and record as many of the important ideas that they mention. So I’ve taken my digital kit with me.
When I was a traditional editor, I would have taken the lot to report with them, sending copy over to our subeditors to post online or in print.
Today my goals are quite different. They are
- to use the kit for networking,
- to test myself as I try to make all the kit work together,
- to record, rather than report, the important points in videos, pictures and words and
- live stream from the event via social media.
The picture shows my
1 Dell laptop. I am hoping there is Wifi because I want to be able to follow Tweets about the event via the #w2e hashtag identifier on Twitter Search. It is also essential kit back in the hotel room to keep up with the office in London, process all the material I will be gathering and knock out a regular blogpost.
2 Flip video camera. I’m going to ask several of the people I meet the same five questions and record them.
- How long have you been in social media?
- What social media kit have you got on you?
- Which part of your social media activity are you most proud?
- How are you using your social media footprint to network at this event?
- What one thing have you learnt this week that will help your business?
- What’s next in social media?
Then I am going to upload the recording to my Vimeo profile before posting it on my blog as a post.
3 Blackberry Storm. I’m concerned whether the battery will last each day but otherwise Twitter on my Blackberry Storm is going to be an essential cog in keeping me networked throughout the day.
4 Keyfob. All these years later, I am still so excited to be able to sit at my work desktop wherever I am in the world. What will it be like working through the company Wiki for the first time?
5 Exilim digital camera. I cannot get the quality of pictures with my Blackberry Storm that I can with my trusted digital camera so I will put up with the inconvenience of downloading. It’s not in the picture above because I had to take this picture!
6 Shades by Cartier. Heh, it’s the Web 2.0 Expo.