Good news for B2B magazine websites from the AOP – the Association of Online Publishers which represents a wide cross section of media in the UK. Its most recent survey showed that B2B websites were:
a highly valued and indispensable source of information
The key findings are
- 97% stated that B2B websites were “the media most used for work”
- 60% ranked them “an essential source of information”
- 60% consider business websites as providing information that they couldn’t get elsewhere
- B2B websites are also favoured over two and a half times more than TV, Radio, Magazines and Newspapers sources combined
It went on to say that
B2B sites are also shown to provide a highly effective medium for advertisers with 43% of business professionals being more likely to respond to advertising on a business website than advertising in other media
- 53% of users being more likely to have confidence in, or do business with, a company, if it advertises on a business site they know
- 74% trust a website more if it comes from a source that they know already (eg. business publication or industry body)
Why is it then that I am not surprised by these results? As a three-times B2B editor over the past two decades, I am intimately aware that industries and professions are always passionately loyal to their weekly or monthly dose of news, features and gossip? What would be useful going forward, therefore, is a survey that compares the loyalty of readers to their magazines AND websites. Do B2B readers respect their magazines websites as much as they loved their magazines? The question becomes even more crucial as the pace of disintermediation quickens across the industry.
We need Paul Conley on this one!
UPDATE: Use the internet to increase sales during the downturn, says The Federation of Small Businesses according to a survey in FreshBusinessThinking.
Nearly half of small businesses that use the internet to advertise their firm increase turnover by one fifth, according to new figures released by the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB).